Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer Thus Far....

Hmm first things first, I was reading in Deuteronomy this morning at the suggestion of a friend. I was reading in chapter 6 where the "Sh-Mah" (I did not spell that right) is located. "Hear O Israel, the Lord your God is One...". My friend (Greg) and I talked about this passages a bit (Deut 6:1-12) and what stuck out to him and I. Basically, 6:6 is super important and something not a whole lot of people get. It's about the heart, your heart. It's not about doing things, and you may be tempted to think it is, because the next couple verses speak about things you should DO with these commands, however, go into verse 10 and suddenly, all of these things being laid out are things God WILL DO. Cities you DIDN'T build, good things you DID NOT provide, wells you DID NOT dig, and vineyards and olive groves you DID NOT plant. And these are all things God is going to give to you. And it says when you have finished eating and are satisfied, do not forget the Lord who delivered you from slavery.
I'm not a bible scholar, and I can't begin to tell you about deep biblical proofs or exegetical examples, but I know this: It is simply not about what you can do. Even in the Old Testament when we see all of these laws put in place for us, Moses still points to these two commandments as central tenants of the faith, and says "Take these to heart!!! DO NOT forget these! Tell them to your children, talk about them every day! Write them on your foreheads, on your houses!"
And then way later in the story, Jesus comes along in Mark, and when talking to some teachers, one asks Jesus which law is the most important and Jesus quotes this scripture, then adds "Love your neighbor as yourself" and the teacher agreed with him (which is generally a good thing to do, I've found). It simply can't be what we can do. We aren't slaves to that law, the law of DO, but so much more the law of grace or Law of BE. Make sure your heart is right, much more so than what your words profess or what your actions are doing. Yes, charity and volunteer work is good, but God wants a heart after His. Those things should NOT come out of a simple feeling of obligation. They should come out of an overflow of who He is transforming you to be.

Yeeaaahhh. Okay :) So, works a little slow these days. The D.C doesn't have a whole lot of hours, so I recently applied at Starbucks. I did this because I will have a car very soon, so I'll actually be able to have a job off-campus which is a pretty exciting thing. (I've honestly been waiting for Tradewinds to have a job opening, but that place has a small turn-around rate which is good for business). I was going to go to the beach, but a friend who was going with us found out (through a lot of pain and a hospital visit) that she has a kidney stone. They are extremely painful so she's on some pain-killers.
Anddd....a scan just came back saying my computer is virus/malware free. Can I get a whoop whoop?
I made the first of three payments on Susie's car. I took it to the shop today...

(P.S...let me just say...
PERRY AUTOMOTIVE...ON MCKINLEY JUST PAST CAPITOL STREET< BLUE BUILDING, YELLOW SIGN-- $10 basic oil changes. Kid you not. Go there now.)

...and the mechanic said the back suspension is broken (I kind of figured) and something about the front axel, but it's not an immediate concern). All in all, if I drop a grand into it, it should last me for a little while, at least (hey, Jesus said He's coming back in a little while, so I'd be okay with this car lasting me a little while :) )
I got to speak some truth into a sister's life today which was so good and refreshing. I think I got on the kick for a while that if I wasn't directly speaking truth (literally) into someones life, I wasn't be used, but I've come away from that a bit. :) Love is good and can be expressed in many different forms and fashions. And if I'm to be silent, but love, then so be it and it will be good.

No comments: